Full-Time Contract Position Available
PRA Group Canada is one of the most established organizations within the Debt Acquisition and Collection Industry in Canada, bringing industry expertise and experience to the market place. Our Company purchases portfolios from leading financial services organizations, and then recovers the accounts through a customer-focused set of strategies and tactics. We go the extra mile to ensure the experience of all original account owners is professional, flexible and customer-oriented.
We are an international organization with an expanding global presence. Our Canadian Head Office is in London, Ontario, with a second location in Montreal, Quebec.
We are currently recruiting a Paralegal in our Montreal, Quebec office. This position is a full-time contract role for 11 months, with a January 2020 start date.
What does a Paralegal do at PRA Group Canada Inc.?
Reporting to the Director of Corporate Legal & Compliance, the Paralegal supports the daily operations of the Legal Department in the Montreal office. The Paralegal is responsible to manage an individual file load on a daily basis, appear in court when required, as well as complete tasks and responsibilities as directed by the Manager. This role is responsible to be aware of and comply with all relevant legislation, information security best practices and company policies, including but not limited to the Personal Information Protection & Electronic Documents Act (PIPEDA) and similar provincial legislation.
Using a combination of Civil Procedure knowledge, professional communication skills and general industry knowledge, you will carry out the following duties, which will include, but are not limited to:
- Prepare files for legal actions
- Handle customer phone calls, negotiate settlement terms and draft settlement agreements; represent the Company in settlement conferences at court or by telephone as needed
- Prepare enforcement documents and follow up on enforcement
- Draft letters
- Daily updates of file status
- Perform legal research as needed
- Meet all legal process deadlines
- Work closely with various agents and court offices
- Be the primary contact and negotiator for Quebec small claims legal actions and represent the Company in Small Claims Court proceedings (including but not limited to mediations and hearings)
- Clerical and additional duties as required
What qualifications are required to be considered for this position?
- Paralegal designation or University degree/certificate in Law
- 2 years’ experience in a legal environment
- Bilingual, French and English, verbal and written
- Familiar with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel)
- Excellent communication skills both written and verbal
- Familiarity with court documents
- Detail oriented
What is great about working for PRA Group Canada?
The PRA Group Canada family offers a very friendly and supportive environment. We believe in living our care values of ‘CARES’ – Committed, Accountable, Respectful, Ethical and Successful.
- Competitive salary based on relevant experience
- Innovative organizational programs that recognize top performers within the Canadian team
- Positive work/life balance
What type of scheduling does PRA Group Canada offer?
This is a full-time position, 40 hours per week, Monday to Friday, business hours.
What is the Application Process?
Please submit your cover letter and resume, detailing how your experience meets the qualifications, by Friday, November 22, 2019 via email to:
We thank all applicants for their interest and will contact those selected to participate in the interview process.